Saturday, January 24, 2009

One Person

Quiet, serene, in a little corner of the world
Lies a pool of water so calm and clear
A mirror, displaying the splendors of the sky
A window to a paradise below

One wave, one simple little ripple
The calm can endure and overcome
Another and the mirror breaks
And the world below goes into hiding

O! The despair! Splendor destroyed, dashed!
The garbled ruination of golden promise
Patches of skylight, shreds of dreams
Reminders of what was had and lost

But lo, all it takes is one sure hand
A guide to lift chins, set sights high again
Or to take one below, beneath the waves
To see clearly that the treasure holds strong

One person to obscure
One person to reveal
Take the guiding hand
And leave the waves behind

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Anacredenza is a screen name I made up back when I first joined a debate forum. At that time, I was just about finished figuring out what my beliefs are, and the name, which means 'renewed belief' reflects that. I cannot claim to know everything (not even remotely close!), but I'm now comfortable with what I believe, which I discovered were my deep, though covered-up, thoughts all along, and have therefore been renewed. I may be right, or I may be wrong, but at least now I'm being true to myself. After figuring this out, I went back and talked with people who hold beliefs that I used to share, to test my new (and old) thoughts on the matter. After several years of that, I am much more comfortable with what I believe. I don't care very much about what other people believe any more, as long as they don't use their beliefs to justify harming other people. That said, I care a great deal about how people come to their conclusions - thorough, critical thinking skills are important, and if more people just knew how to think, the whole world could be a much less hostile place.