Friday, November 21, 2008

Kinships in LotRO

The other night, the LotRO kinship I'm in (kinship = guild in MMO language) promoted one of our recruits to a full-fledged member. We've recently taken to making an event out of promotions as it gives us an excuse to see each other 'in person', as well as making the recruit feel welcome and a part of everything. We all don our matching unofficial uniforms, the officers change our display titles to 'Officer', and the leader changes his to 'Leader'. Then our leader beckons the recruit(s) in question to the top of our 'stage' and gives the recruits a graduation-style speech, whereupon they become promoted. Then there is much congratulating, cheering, clapping, and general celebrating, during which the leader continues his official duties by 'giving' the recruits the unofficial uniform too (in LotRO there's a cosmetic outfit system where you can equip an item cosmetically and then even when that item is no longer in your inventory, you still are wearing it - we keep a couple copies for the kin that we share around). Then we celebrate some more before visiting Matilda, our inn-league keg.



The more of us that are present for these promotion ceremonies, the cooler it starts to feel to be a part of it all. This most recent one featured our biggest turn-out yet, so I captured the moment above. It is really neat to be part of a kin that seems to be so unique. I haven't seen any other kins doing a uniform the way we do, and while I can't claim to know for sure, I've never heard of any other kin making a production of promotions, either. Our leader commented yesterday that other players all seem to blend together with their different outfits, whereas we stand out by all dressing the same, and he is absolutely right (plus, our outfits are really sharp!). When we roam around the countryside, crawl through dungeons, or charge through a busy city, we turn heads with our matching outfits. Players will often send me tells complimenting our outfits, and sometimes the comments reach the public chat channels. On explaining this all to my boyfriend, he commented that our kin sounds like what a kin is supposed to be like. I've also gotten some comments to that effect from several of our members. It feels really good to be a part of such a group.

/em raises her glass to the Guardsmen of the Free Peoples.

2 comments:

zenmoonstar said...

Hi Ana, I'm an older female gamer (50+) & just about to complete the free trial in LotRO as an Elven rune-keeper Lv 3. I love the game but prolly can only play casually. Also this is my first mmo so I'm going slow. (I used to play Morrowind for several years, tho.) I like exploring & interacting with other players as well as reading lore at times. I've read/own many Tolkien books & seen all the LotR movies several times. I also enjoy a bit of role play & studying & conversing in my limited Elvish.

Your Guardsmen kinship looks great, is it still active in the game? Do you think I would fit into your group? I really like your website & forum - but see that you are a small close-knit group. Don't know if you want a complete noobie such as myself so I thought I'd post here first.

Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

cheers,
zenmoon

ps. I may have to get a RAM upgrade to 1 gig before subscribing, the current 512 makes my pc hang quite a bit. But sound & graphics are decent & I do use a headset with a mike. Thanks again. zms

Anacredenza said...

Hello Zenmoon! Yes, we are still active in the game, probably moreso than we've ever been. Our kin is fairly casual, but we like to get together and have a fun time, whether by valiantly questing through the lands, or by kicking back and relaxing to some tunes and some festivities. We also love to explore Middle Earth - we want to soak it all in! And yes, we enjoy some role-playing too.

We aren't a super-elite group - we welcome all players (though the really hard-core ones might get antsy about our laid back atmosphere), and you would most certainly be welcome to join us!

About Me

My photo
Anacredenza is a screen name I made up back when I first joined a debate forum. At that time, I was just about finished figuring out what my beliefs are, and the name, which means 'renewed belief' reflects that. I cannot claim to know everything (not even remotely close!), but I'm now comfortable with what I believe, which I discovered were my deep, though covered-up, thoughts all along, and have therefore been renewed. I may be right, or I may be wrong, but at least now I'm being true to myself. After figuring this out, I went back and talked with people who hold beliefs that I used to share, to test my new (and old) thoughts on the matter. After several years of that, I am much more comfortable with what I believe. I don't care very much about what other people believe any more, as long as they don't use their beliefs to justify harming other people. That said, I care a great deal about how people come to their conclusions - thorough, critical thinking skills are important, and if more people just knew how to think, the whole world could be a much less hostile place.