Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Division

Last post (earlier today) I had a happy little note to post. Nothing of substance came to mind. Now, however, I have found something (and what has it been, an hour or so?):

Introducing: Blackbird, the web browser made for people of a specific ethnic category. That's gonna fix everything, right? Instead of everybody being equal, here we have yet another instance of one category of people being propped up over everyone else. They do this sort of thing with minorities a lot, in an effort to ... I don't know, validate them? They take a level playing field and add division - this bothers me to no end. For instance, they made a women's television network. What for? All that does is imply that every single other station out there is a man channel, which is certainly not the case. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's hypocrisy, and that's what this sort of thing is - using segregation in an attempt to eliminate segregation is more than just stupidity. This Blackbird thing encourages its users to separate themselves from the internet even as it posits that the idea is to integrate them into the internet (because until then, they just couldn't manage, right? Please). It's almost exactly the same as the regular browser on which it's based, except with the added feature that the name reminds them of the colour people call their skin, and with features that point you to donation options for charities and the like that also focus on people who share their ethnicity of the intended users.

Why do people still, in this day and age, focus on completely superficial attributes when making judgments about other people? Why do we place extra importance on people who are a certain ethnicity when considering making products or founding charities? Why can't we just treat every stranger the same, and every person we know anything about according to his actions and merits?

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Anacredenza is a screen name I made up back when I first joined a debate forum. At that time, I was just about finished figuring out what my beliefs are, and the name, which means 'renewed belief' reflects that. I cannot claim to know everything (not even remotely close!), but I'm now comfortable with what I believe, which I discovered were my deep, though covered-up, thoughts all along, and have therefore been renewed. I may be right, or I may be wrong, but at least now I'm being true to myself. After figuring this out, I went back and talked with people who hold beliefs that I used to share, to test my new (and old) thoughts on the matter. After several years of that, I am much more comfortable with what I believe. I don't care very much about what other people believe any more, as long as they don't use their beliefs to justify harming other people. That said, I care a great deal about how people come to their conclusions - thorough, critical thinking skills are important, and if more people just knew how to think, the whole world could be a much less hostile place.