Monday, December 29, 2008

Games for Girls?

Okay, here is a prime example of meaningless segregation: Ultimate Games for Girls 5. It insinuates that games otherwise are for boys, which is absurd. Further, if any boys wanted to play these games, they'd be emasculated for it - not really a great marketing tactic. Now let's take a good look at the games they think are for girls: Family Restaurant, Let's Ride, Fetch, Miss Popularity, and Pet School. Dig in, everybody; it's a veritable buffet of stereotypes! What kind of message does this send to girls? Games for girls: Fetch. Seriously. Family Restaurant - because if it's about food preparation, it has 'girl' written all over it - especially if 'family' is also involved. Hey girls, 'Let's Ride'! (I can't get over this). I can't believe that people buy this, but they must, because this is the 5th one they've made! I know the gaming market is generally geared towards boys, but this is no way to try and balance things out. I suspect games would be far more popular if they weren't geared toward specific crowds. Look at the popularity, for instance, of the Nintendo Wii - there's nothing divisive about the Wii; in fact, I think that they're trying to be as inclusive as possible. But this 'Games for Girls'? Come on, people, don't stoop to this! The games themselves may or may not be any good, but for goodness' sake, don't package them in such an ridiculous manner. Don't reward this kind of nonsense and maybe they'll stop doing it. That's my hope, anyways.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Anacredenza is a screen name I made up back when I first joined a debate forum. At that time, I was just about finished figuring out what my beliefs are, and the name, which means 'renewed belief' reflects that. I cannot claim to know everything (not even remotely close!), but I'm now comfortable with what I believe, which I discovered were my deep, though covered-up, thoughts all along, and have therefore been renewed. I may be right, or I may be wrong, but at least now I'm being true to myself. After figuring this out, I went back and talked with people who hold beliefs that I used to share, to test my new (and old) thoughts on the matter. After several years of that, I am much more comfortable with what I believe. I don't care very much about what other people believe any more, as long as they don't use their beliefs to justify harming other people. That said, I care a great deal about how people come to their conclusions - thorough, critical thinking skills are important, and if more people just knew how to think, the whole world could be a much less hostile place.