Monday, May 18, 2009

Garden Update

Well, the garden is done being built (although the irrigation still needs to be finished), and I've planted everything that can be planted so far (some things need warmer soil, others are going over top the irrigation, and I ran out of some seeds already). I've read a little about companion planting, which is where you plant something near something else, and one plant will benefit the other, either by repelling certain insects or changing the soil in a beneficial way. There is of course a flip-side to this, in that some plants are basically enemies - they pose a threat to each other. For instance, you're not supposed to plant potatoes and tomatoes too close to each other, and there are plenty of plants that can't go near beans because beans add a lot of nitrogen to the soil - too much for some plants to handle.

While I was figuring all this out and planting what I could plant, the boys have been building a shed:



Gosh I hope I don't kill this garden...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Oh wow. Is that a walkway winding its way through?
It looks amazing!
Good luck on the garden.

And sorry if this comment is random. Today is my first day with this website and I am reading through various blogs that strike my interest. Trying to get an idea of things.

(*sigh* After publishing this comment I noticed a plethora of typos that I somehow missed. Here is my comment.2

About Me

My photo
Anacredenza is a screen name I made up back when I first joined a debate forum. At that time, I was just about finished figuring out what my beliefs are, and the name, which means 'renewed belief' reflects that. I cannot claim to know everything (not even remotely close!), but I'm now comfortable with what I believe, which I discovered were my deep, though covered-up, thoughts all along, and have therefore been renewed. I may be right, or I may be wrong, but at least now I'm being true to myself. After figuring this out, I went back and talked with people who hold beliefs that I used to share, to test my new (and old) thoughts on the matter. After several years of that, I am much more comfortable with what I believe. I don't care very much about what other people believe any more, as long as they don't use their beliefs to justify harming other people. That said, I care a great deal about how people come to their conclusions - thorough, critical thinking skills are important, and if more people just knew how to think, the whole world could be a much less hostile place.