Thursday, July 2, 2009

Garden Update

I wish to preface this post with an explanation: there are no June '09 updates to this blog for several reasons, the big one being that my internet provider is dumb and through their own slowness at restoring their service (modem fried, all they had to do was come over and replace it), lost my business. Anyways...

My garden is growing quite nicely:



We take good care of this one, checking every day to make sure the peas are grasping their wire netting, shading the spinach, pouncing on every weed almost as soon as it pops up (this actually has its downfall as we do not actually know what all our crops are supposed to look like to start, and so we have managed to prematurely pick several plants that were supposed to be there...), and watering all the time (as watering laws allow, of course) - even going so far as to set up an irrigation system:



This picture is out of order from the others in this post, but you can see in this picture also that my boyfriend has set up a potato patch (also with irrigation) in the ditch outside our yard. Our strata doesn't mind this because it means he keeps that portion of the ditch under control, more or less.

On the other hand, we also have our strawberry patch, which we do not tend in any way:



This strawberry patch started in the very corner, in a neat little square. It has a mind of its own, however, and is apparently on a mission to take over the whole yard. The only way we take care of this is that there is drip irrigation there now, and we pick the berries whenever we see them (which is all the time!). We are letting them do their own thing because apparently they can take care of themselves, and if all else fails, at least we'll have delicious strawberries every summer.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Anacredenza is a screen name I made up back when I first joined a debate forum. At that time, I was just about finished figuring out what my beliefs are, and the name, which means 'renewed belief' reflects that. I cannot claim to know everything (not even remotely close!), but I'm now comfortable with what I believe, which I discovered were my deep, though covered-up, thoughts all along, and have therefore been renewed. I may be right, or I may be wrong, but at least now I'm being true to myself. After figuring this out, I went back and talked with people who hold beliefs that I used to share, to test my new (and old) thoughts on the matter. After several years of that, I am much more comfortable with what I believe. I don't care very much about what other people believe any more, as long as they don't use their beliefs to justify harming other people. That said, I care a great deal about how people come to their conclusions - thorough, critical thinking skills are important, and if more people just knew how to think, the whole world could be a much less hostile place.